Characteristics & Features of SQL:
- SQL is very easy to learn, very readable and highly precise.
- It is comparatively simple to understand it.
- SQL is used by many programmers to program apps to access a database.
- SQL databases use well-defined standard for creating and using databases which are being adopted by ANSI & ISO.
- Due to this standardization, SQL has got wide approval and hence extensive market acceptance.
- SQL does not require a considerable amount of coding.
- It works with various database programs mentioned above.
- After the development of Object Oriented Database Management System, object storage abilities are spread to relational databases.
- SQL supports a simple yet a controlling condition and error-handling model.
- SQL statements can be used for interactive as well as programmatic access to the database.
- A database or program based on SQL can be shifted from one database management system to another with little effort and minimum training of staff.
- These SQL based databases or programs can be run on different computer systems from PCs to mainframes.
- SQL databases can be moved to bigger server based on the requirements.
- The databases can be tested on interactive SQL before embedding it into a program.
SQL has become the standard international language as it is used in almost every relational database management system. SQL is basically a computer language but has structure resemble English language that makes it easy to use. "Select", "Create", "Insert", "Drop", "Update", and "Delete" are the standard and common SQL commands that will help you do almost everything with your database. There are various versions of the SQL language like SQL: 2011, SQL:2008, SQL:2006, etc. SQL database consists of one or more tables. Various areas of operations of different business types are distributed and divided in SQL databases.
T-SQL, also known as Transact-SQL, is Microsoft’s implementation of the Structured Query Language for SQL Server.
Benefits & Advantages of SQL:
There are various benefits and advantages of SQL. Some of them are:
- SQL is a comprehensive tool for managing the data.
- SQL uses tables for storing data yet keep and enforce relationships between data or information.
- Its commands are easy to implement.
- No matter what is the size of business, SQL server works for every small or large business.
- SQL codes can be nested in each other.
- It gives access to data in a relational database management system.
- SQL codes can easily be transferred to various standard database products.
- It retrieves a large amount of data from a database very quickly and efficiently.
- Many SQL statements can be processed at the same time.
- It helps to design a database, structure data and manipulate it.
- Views, stored procedures, functions can be created in a database.
- It gives various ways to describe the data more analytically.
- New tables can be created and previous or not used ones can be dropped or deleted in a database.
- A complete database can be removed.
- SQL server has backup options and data can be saved on hard drives, CDs, DVDs, etc.
- It can easily be embedded within other programming languages with the help of SQL modules, libraries & pre-compilers.
- SQL Server can handle large records and manage numerous transactions.
- Permissions can be set on tables, procedures, and views hence give security to your data.